Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ear Skills

After reading “Creating Musical Flexibility Through the Ensemble” written by Brandt Schneider, it made me reflect about how I feel about ear training and sight-singing. My extensive work with ear training didn’t start until I was a freshman as an undergraduate and I tell you, I made much improvement the second time I took sight singing and ear training as a sophomore in college. I just didn’t learn anything from my professor my first year. I don’t remember as a younger student what my teachers had done for aural skills, but I do notice today that elementary music teachers are singing to their students a little greeting and the students sing back a response, hopefully, in the same pitch. Teachers use this as a sort of assessment, but it also tells the teacher A LOT about their students’ ears.

Schneider put a great emphasis on how he taught his students to be flexible. He taught them how to play simple songs in different keys. I’m sure he didn’t teach his kids how to play “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” in the hardest key ever first, but I do believe that he taught his students simple keys. Eventually he would have worked his way up there! I would imagine that he taught a scale at a time. That’s something else Schneider let me do as I read his article, imagine! He left very open instructions about how he accomplished flexibility that it left me wondering how he got there! There are many ways to get there then. 

So then how do we determine if someone’s a good musician or not? It’s such a vague question with different ideas that it simply cannot be answered with just one example of what makes a musician good. To be a good musician, you should have an understanding of your instrument (voice too!). Being a musician, one should have good technical skills as well as aural skills that can help when it comes time to look at a new piece of music. This musician is able to pick apart everything that makes up the music and is able to turn it into something more than just notes on a page.

3 comments:

  1. I like your last paragraph, something to start thinking about. What do you need to do to earn an A in your 8th grade choir (or band)? Does earning an A mean you are a good musician? (if not then I question your grading criteria)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have some ideas. There are different ways to assess students in choir and band. For choir, you can make use of devices and have students record themselves during rehearsal via voice memos then send you the voice memo. For band, I could always have the students perform for me with their sections or one by one, measures or sections that I wish to hear them. Of course immediate feedback is essential for growth with all musicians and that's what I can offer then grade accordingly to what I feel they deserve in terms of growth as a musician and following direction. I suppose. I just don't want to give out easy A's because sure it shows that you're a good musician and you showed up to rehearsals, but it all depends on "what makes a good musician."

      Delete
  2. One thing that I believe will help me in the future is a chart that Jim, Vinny, and myself are putting together for another class. We need to create a graphic organizer and chose to do it on the different instruments one would find in band or orchestra. It will have the instrument, family, key it is in, its relation to concert pitch (like a trumpet written up one whole step), range of the instrument, and general voice part (SATB). When it's done I would be happy to share it with you!

    ReplyDelete