Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Novice

“Who am I?” seems like such an easy question to answer at first. The more I thought about the more I had to think about who I really am and who my inspiration was. However, I think it’s best if I start off with the easy part to this answer. I’m Kai-Dee Beach. I was adopted from South Korea twenty-two years ago and rising! I started clarinet in fourth grade and haven’t stopped yet. I come from a family full of teachers, but I will be the only music teacher.

The best way I can describe myself with about three words is: kindhearted, flexible, and persevering. These are three words that have been said about me. I don’t like to talk about myself all too much because I’d rather find out more about you and your interests, but once I feel comfortable, I’d talk about my interests. It’s just who I am. I’ve been told I’m flexible, but sadly it is hard for me to touch my toes without bending my knees. No, what I mean is that I can change what I’m doing to match what is requested of me to do. When I was an undergrad, I worked for the music department, which means I worked different events that happened in the concert hall or did office work for my boss such as copying/folding programs for events that involved ensembles or small ensembles. Sometimes I would have to be very flexible and would end up working when I wasn’t planning on doing so. In the long run, being flexible is always a big help to everyone and I wish to do that all the time. The last adjective that I could think of that would describe me is persevering. The definition of perseverance is “determined continuation with something.” This word means a lot to me and it’s also something I believe in as a teacher.

In his book, Teaching Music with Purpose, Dr. Peter Loel Boonshaft had a chapter titled “Failure is Opportunity Turned Upside-Down.” In this chapter he talked about how failure is okay because it turns us down another path that will eventually lead to success! As an undergraduate, I had been faced with failure three times. The first time was in the beginning sight-singing class that I had to take as a freshman. My professor wasn’t the greatest of help to me and there were other factors that forced me to repeat the same courses the following year. That put me behind a semester. The second and third times I was faced failure was this test of musicianship skills (Sight-reading, sight-singing, and piano) and a performance on my own instrument called “The Sophomore Barrier.” This “test” was performed in front of the entire full-time faculty. It was one of the hardest things I had ever prepared for. I had three chances to pass or else I had to change my major down to just a regular old music degree. The first time I failed it, I was a junior. I knew the mistakes made and the following semester I worked to strengthen those skills that are still with me today. The second chance I had at the barrier I was a senior and I failed. Again, I knew where my mistakes were and this time I had two options: I could re-try for a third time or change my major so I could graduate. It had been decided for me that graduating would be the best option and I was told about the program at University of Bridgeport. My whole experience near the end of my college career reminded me of Boonshaft’s story in the beginning of the chapter where he was travelling and found an opportunity to succeed on a different path. My last failure had put me on a new path now. It didn’t feel like a new path, but eventually I came to terms with what I had and accepted my fate. What I didn’t expect was that people around me suggested I try a different path that would help me gain my final goal: becoming a music teacher, much like how in Boonshaft’s story he said that he had arrived to his destination, just in a different way.

Perseverance taught me to never give up on my final goal. Failure taught me it’s okay to make mistakes. The point I’m trying to get at is that as a future teacher, I want my students to know that making mistakes is a learning experience that will eventually lead to success! I want them to succeed in the best possible way no matter how they got there so long as they understand what they did to get there. As you can see from my own personal experience and from Boonshaft’s story is that failure can turn into an opportunity of success.

I also believe that having a positive attitude in class can help keep things engaging and alive in a classroom. It all starts with our attitude as the teacher.  If we’re positive, it reflects off of our students. If we’re negative, unhappy, or discouraged, it reflects off of our students and then we lose focus of the classroom. Boonshaft quoted Dennis and Wendy Mannering in his chapter titled, “Motidispiration: Motivation, Discipline, and Inspiration,” that read, “Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching?” Boonshaft went on to answer that question saying, “The answer to that question – for us and our students – may be as important as anything we teach.” Although it’s a rhetorical question, it’s still one that’s worth taking into consideration because it can only help you when you’re in your classroom filled with students who seem to be less than thrilled to be with you some days. Therefore, you as the teacher need to find a way to motivate them, which can come from your energy and what you decide to put out there for the day.


One last belief I have is to be diligent. I feel that the best intrinsic feeling comes from hard work. Music helps give us that feeling no matter what the task may be. For a beginning player, it might be playing a note that has given so much grief that when the note finally sounds it’s a great achievement. As a private music lesson teacher, I know there’s no greater reward for a young clarinetist is to finally get into those higher notes. When one of my students gets the note, I am finally happy for them, of course it’s not the best sounding note ever, but to them it’s an accomplishment! After that, I have them work on it with short exercises in their book that we use for lessons. Boonshaft said the same chapter about motivation, discipline, and inspiration that intrinsic motivation gives students “personal revelations of wisdom and beauty in music. Simply put, because they want to.” I couldn’t agree more. When my student leaves me for the day I have no doubt in my mind that he or she will go home and try to play the same note again or play the assignment that has the difficult note in it.

To be honest, I haven’t thought much about my core values since most of them tie into my beliefs. Though here is a short list and an explanation as to why I like them:


1. Positivity is key to everything because nobody likes a stick in the mud. Things should remain positive and energized to keep everyone on their toes.

2. Hard work and perseverance pay off. If you decide to give up then you are not helping yourself succeed. Boonshaft said that failure is a choice and that “no one is a failure who keeps trying!” I’d like to add on to that and say to never give up on what you want most!

3. Be flexible when necessary, your way may not always be the right way for a student.

4. Remember to have fun when it is appropriate. Music games are definitely fun and enjoyable, but don’t forget to work on fundamentals! They can be fun too, so long as you make them appealing to them.

5. Less is more. Boonshaft agrees as well as any music teacher I have spoken to has agreed to this idea that speaking as few words as possible during a rehearsal is key to making good use of time rather than talking nonstop about how the clarinet section needs to fix their runs or telling the trombone section to get their bells out of the stands then playing the right notes.

6. Inspire and be inspired by others. As music teachers, Boonshaft believed that “we must show our students that we are as dedicated to them as we are to the music.” It’s our duty to “teach them how to get to the goal… we must explain the goal and its virtues.” We must be that first spark of interest and hold it somehow for them to be able to play a piece of music. By doing so we must find ways of our own. Also, to let ourselves be inspired by our students, Boonshaft’s story, from his chapter “Without You, There Never Would Have Been a Journey,” about how a student showed him the sparkle to make his “star burn bright again” just by showing him how much he meant to her. It was wonderful to read that and for him, that must have been the greatest feeling ever.

7. Be yourself. No one can do that for you, but you.

8. Treat others the way you would want to be treated because I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be treated horribly at any time of the day.

9.  Be acceptable of others, we’re all different for a reason is. This ties with number eight in a way, but I feel this is slightly different for obvious reasons.

3 comments:

  1. Very good. I read this and get a good idea who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kai-Dee - You can add me to the list of individuals that agree that less is more. I remember back at UConn during my undergrad conducting classes when we were discussing the best rehearsal techniques to keep our kids engaged and eliminate the distractions. Our professor, Dr. Renshaw, believed that if you were to cut off the ensemble to address something, it mustn't be a long drawn out cadenza of sorts. It should be short, concise, and to the point. The only other reason that a rehearsal should be stopped and the conductor pauses in silence, is that the next words out of their mouth are an Earth shattering revelation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesse - Yes! I remember as an undergrad at WestConn, the wind ensemble helped the instrumental conducting class who were conducting Holst's Second Suite in F at the time. Each student conductor was told to instead of talking about what they wanted, it was to show us. I have to say it looked very difficult to figure out what to do when words can be so effective, but I suppose you have to be creative in finding ways!

      Delete